Barcelona president Joan Laporta has dismissed reports that the club had secretly contacted Erling Haaland without passing Borussia Dortmund.
Last week, Azul Grana boss Xavi Hernandez was reported to have traveled to Germany to meet privately with Haaland. The media said the Camp Nou coach hopes to motivate the 21-year-old spear to join the team next season.
Still, Laporta said in an interview before Azulgrana’s 2-1 win over Elche in La Liga on Sunday that the reports were not true.
“There is no negotiation at all (with Haaland),” Laporta said.
“At Barcelona, we do not negotiate directly with the players. when we have to negotiate We will do it with Borussia Dortmund if things happen.
For Barcelona, it is one of Europe’s leading clubs linked with the Norwegian striker. It is believe that many The team is ready to negotiate with Dortmund at the end of the season.
On the Haland side, there has been a continuous transfer of the team.
Although his contract with Dortmund lasts until mid 2024, the club’s board has confirmed that the striker’s future is uncertain.
As reported by UFABET, speaking at a meeting of supporters groups. Laporta said: ‘I can deny that there has been any kind of negotiation over Haaland. Not a meeting, nor a conversation, nothing.
‘With regards to the meeting between Xavi and Haaland in Munich, that’s none of my business, but two sportsmen can talk about football, I suppose.
‘The first thing we’d do is contact Borussia Dortmund, his club.’
Haaland has a release clause of £63million in his contract which is activated this summer.
In addition to Barcelona, the 21-year-old has also been heavily link with a move to Real Madrid.
Manchester City are on the lookout for a striker. After failing to sign Harry Kane from Tottenham last summer, but it remains to be seen whether they will pursue a move for Haaland.
Since his move to Dortmund in January 2020 Haaland has score 80 goals in 79 appearances.
Barcelona were heavily active in the January transfer window as Xavi looked to improve his squad.